Friday, 19 April 2013

My Home and My Workspace

I've not had any time for crafty stuff this week, so I thought it would be an opportunity to let you into a bit more detail about me.  I have always been a touch on the crafty side and now my boys are getting into their teens I'm going full steam ahead.

Looking around my home now you can tell I make things!  There isn't a room in the house that doesn't have one of my creations, well maybe the bathroom.  There are cross stitch pictures on the wall in the hall and the kitchen, the living room is adorned with a blanket and cushions, my bedroom also has a blanket and my sons room have cushions too.


 


The biggest tale tell sign of my antics is all the paraphernalia that goes with being crafty, the sewing machine, knitting needles, crochet hooks, fabric, wool, cotton, books, buttons and I must admit that has a tendancy to take over.  We only live in a small 3 bedroomed house, with a through living room/dining room but we are lucky to have a small conservatory, which during the warmer months I like to use as my workroom.  It's a perfect place to sit and sew with lots of lovely natural light, but does have a tendency to get a little warm sometimes.

The one thing I have struggled with is how do you keep all that stuff organised and I must admit I don't think being creative lends itself to being tidy!!  One problem is you do have a tendancy to hoard fabric and yarn because you never know when you might need it, but where and how do you store it?  I've looked lovingly at photos on Pinterest of very organised and beautiful crafts rooms ... maybe one day.  In the meantime I have the conservatory and an Expedit shelving unit from Ikea in the living room with boxes which are slowing filling up.



I have boxes everywhere with fabric, wool, ribbons, cottons, jars with buttons, there is some kind of organisation going on but nothing ever seems to be where I want or need it.  Recently I've been looking at cupboards to hang on the wall in the conservatory, I did fancy a dresser but think it's too big a piece of furniture for the room.  I fancy a bit of project so I've been trawling the charity shops looking for something solid that I can do up shabby chic style, nothing found yet but I'm still looking.  If you suffer with the same dilemmas get in touch and give me the heads up as to what you do with your stuff!

I'm hoping next week I'm going to be able to show off my latest creation, if I get time to finish it off that is ... 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment